Thursday, July 20, 2006

Why the World Needs Superman

I created this blog to deal with my obsession over Superman. I've always loved the Man of Steel. I watched the George Reeves TV show (in reruns -- I'm not that old!) as a child and read the Superman comics in the early '60s. In fact, I still have 4 or 5 issues that I particularly liked (and no, they're not worth much, maybe $10 -- the only ones worth real money are pre-WWII). Of course, I loved the Christopher Reeve Superman movie and have waited a long time for another movie.

Now that Superman Returns is out, my obsession has returned full fold. I have seen it 6 times (I think my 7th viewing will be later today). Its not that its a great movie -- although it is very, very good -- but it fulfills my escapism needs.

I've always liked Superman because he's a superhero who exists only to serve mankind. With all his powers, he's like a god in the Greek-Roman sense. But while those gods were basically petty dicators, Superman has made a choice to be not a god, but a servant to humans. He sacrifices all -- nearly his own life -- to help humans.

And while a god, Superman is also human. His nature may be superhuman but his nurture is human and he longs for love and companionship just like any one of us. But this really isn't possible for Superman, is it? He has to settle for the admiration of humankind, instead of a loving relationship with Lois.

So I'll be filling up this blog with my observations on the movie and on Superman as a cultural icon. Hope you enjoy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home